Monday, December 13, 2010

Snow Day



Dear Mom,
I've taken advantage of this snow day with the kids home to use my baker's helper (aka The Young Lady) and do some scone baking. We popped out 70 scones this morning. Yes. sev-en-teeee. Thank goodness for my convection oven. We made every variety we could think of and had the ingredients for: blueberry lemon, cranberry orange, butterscotch, chocolate chop, chocolate cherry, and cinnamon raisin. We made a small last batch with a butterscotch and chocolate chip combo that will stay here at home.
About half of the baskets have been delivered. When I had the brainstorm to do this today, I thought it would be the perfect day to catch everyone at home. Not so. For me days like this are the perfect excuse NOT to leave, but I obviously have neighbors with important things to do, 4-wheel drive vehicles and/or more courage than I have.
We put up our Christmas tree over the weekend. So far, except for one appealing ornament, Patsy has left the tree alone. I had visions of her dragging the tree OUT the dog door much like she has dragged sticks IN. The ornament in question has been relocated to a higher branch.
 Our string of lights is plugged into an extension cord that has an on/off switch. Instead of bending over to plug the cord in I can just tap the switch with my foot. Patsy witnessed me tapping the lights on to water the tree early Sunday morning. After emptying my watering can, I tapped the lights off. Patsy looked at the red button and used her big paw to tap the lights back on. I am considering teaching Miss Smarty Paws two new commands: Lights On! and Lights Off !
I somehow managed to get ahead and actually finish the important Christmas knitting. Now I'll have time to do some of those fun smaller Christmas knitting projects that I've been thinking about, but didn't dare hope to have the time for.
Like these- I really like this one.And this cute thing. And maybe some of these, and definitely some more fingerless mitts.
Love,
Kim

2 comments:

Chris said...

I am so impressed by Patsy. She should inherit the crown left by Skidboot, the World's Smartest Dog (a Texas, of course). http://www.skidboot.com/index.html

Anonymous said...

Dang! I should have made my way to the 'burbs. I stopped and bought a scone at Panera's, but had I known that the Wagners had gift baskets. . . !
Cranberry orange...butterscotch... OMG!

Patsy is a genius. She cannot be expected to abide by ordinary dog rules.