Monday, June 20, 2011

It's HERE!!

Dear Mom,
My loom arrived this afternoon, one day earlier than the expected delivery date, but fortunately after I had made a place for it in the dining room. (To be accurate, it probably should be called something else, because more sewing, spinning and now hopefully, weaving, is done in there than actual dining.)
Getting the box off the truck, up the driveway and into the house required the help of the Young Man and a next door neighbor who thankfully drove up right when we needed her to come hold the front door open. The box was a tiny bit heavy, but it was the size that made things a bit topsy turvy as we negotiated the front steps.
Here it is with the box just opened. About now I am still excited, but beginning to wonder what I've done.
When I slid it out this far I started to get just a tiny bit scared.

But I persevered, carefully slid it into close proximity of its new home and started to read through the instruction booklet that came with it, checking off the parts list which was a bit of a joke when parts are listed that I don't even know what they are called or what they are for. Some of them I just went by the count- yep, 3 of those things, so those must be apron bars....and that thing is brass colored so it must be the brass reed hook, and so on. I am taking their word for it that there are 800 heddles.
After removing all the plastic wraps and reading through the booklet, I did manage to get the thing unfolded and attached a crank handle before getting overwhelmed and calling it quits before I break something. I'll take my classes and get the whole thing figured out. I almost feel like I'll be learning how to drive all over again.
Here is is all unfolded.
The loom won't be given a name until we get more intimately acquainted.
I am also reminding myself that there have been weavers for centuries and that I am up to the task.

Love,
Kim

7 comments:

Sassafras and Winterberry said...

Oh my! So pretty! I'd be freaked out too, though with all the parts and how to instructions. A class sounds good! I can't wait to see what emerges from this lovely loom!
Courtney

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

I have to hand it to you, you are very brave. I can't wait to see your work. Good luck and have loads of fun with it.

dls said...

Congrats on the newest member of your household! Very pretty.

Christine said...

I am soooooooo excited for you! I'd love to have one but can't even remotely justify it at the moment. I might have a few too many things on my plate already. lol

Anonymous said...

YAY!!! Go nuts! :)

Anonymous said...

This doesn't look as portable as Daphne... Cindy L

NCmountainwoman said...

Well, you certainly impressed me! Great beginning.