Friday, April 30, 2010

Coffee and Cookies Combined!

Dear Mom,
I have enjoyed 2 glorious days off from any kind of "work" so I took the days to be lazy and enjoy the yard, the weather (knitting outside!) and baking! I baked 4 loaves of Grams' Bread, otherwise known as Mercy Watson Toast, white chocolate chip cookies that were terrible (but eaten anyway!) and then these:
Coffee Bean Cookies

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 cup chopped almonds, toasted
1 cup chocolate-covered coffee beans (purchased at Starbucks, of course!)
1 cup heath bar chips

Beat butter and shortening at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add sugars, beating well.  Add eggs and vanilla; beat well.
Combine flour and next 3 ingredients; add to butter mixture, beating well.
Stir in chopped almonds, chocolate-covered coffee beans and heath bar chips.  Cover and chill dough, if desired.
Drop dough by heaping teaspoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets.
Bake at 350 degrees for 10-11 minutes or until golden.  Cool 1 minute on baking sheets; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
Yield:  4 dozen

These cookies have always been my favorites!!  An indulgence for me.  The kids got the white chocolate chip cookies; I ate all of the coffee bean cookies!
Much has been brewing during these past two days . . . . all of which I will share in the next coming week!  In the meantime, I can't wait to read about The Queen! And I STILL have my Alice Starmore "Reef" sweater that was properly steeked with the aid of Kim and her bottle of wine, but never finished.  It was to be for the teenager when he was 2 . . . and then the Diva . . . and then Pipsqueak  . . . . . .
Enjoy your weekend!
Love,
Wendy


2 comments:

Bonnie Jo said...

Two well-deserved days off, too! Next time you'd better invite me over so I can help you eat your next batch of cookies!!

Anonymous said...

This is one recipe I MUST try! They sound fabulous!

I'll never steek, but it sounds like something that certainly should be done with wine.