Thursday, February 18, 2010

What I learned from sock #7

Dear Mom,
This is sock #7 of my sock a week in 2010 resolution.

I hate it.

I used this pattern. There is nothing wrong with the pattern. The instructions are perfectly clear and the designer must be a genius. I was immediately attracted to this sock's unusual construction. Really, it is brilliant, worked from the toe up on the bias with a swirly origami sort of heel. I had to try it.
As you can see, it turned out fine.... if you wear a size 9 shoe, which I do not. You cannot tell in the photo, but the sock is much too big even for the Young Lady (the reluctant model here) whose feet are bigger than mine.

I realized after slogging through this sock, that I do not like knitting fussy sock patterns. Sure I like the looks of pretty socks, but I realized while working on #7 that I just want to go into auto pilot while I knit a sock. A fun little something on the cuff is good, but let the rest of my sock be plain old vanilla sock knitting. A fancy sock is not going to be any warmer or function any differently than my plain old vanilla sock. I am content to let the sock yarn speak for itself.

I also had to talk myself off the edge that was looming whenever I thought about making the other half of sock #7. Number 7 is very specifically a Left foot. I was dreading Right foot #8. I was thinking hateful thoughts about right foot #8.  Well.  Remembering that there are no Knitting Police, I realized that I don't have to make that sock! I am moving forward and sock #8 will be the beginning of a new pair. The lack of symmetry there is a little disturbing, but I'll get over it as soon as I cast on. I would feel better, though, if I could find someone who wears a Women's size 9 and just needs a sock for her left foot. I'd be happy to send her this sock.

Love,
Kim

p.s. Another thought. Anyone out there interested in knitting a Right Foot, size 9? I'll gladly send the pattern, yarn and Left Foot #7 . Email me at the address on the sidebar.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay. Personally? I am just amazed that you can knit that! People who knit amaze me. I was reading Merrily Marylee's blog the other day, and I found that she knits. Apparently a lot of you knit! And, the sock might be too big, but it looks great!

Sincerely,

A Girl Who Find Knitting Extraordinarily Difficult

Anonymous said...

We know for sure that I'd never knit that second sock. You could hang it on the mantel and maybe the yarn fairy would surprise you now and then. It's quite lovely.

The colors are lovely. One of the Rainey Sisters has made a pretty scarf/shawl/whatever of a small amount of sock yarn. You could make that with the rest of the yarn.

Anonymous said...

I wear a size nine and would appreciate knitting only one sock to have a pair !!
Let me know and thanks for the offer.
Janice

I'm gonna tell Mom! said...

Janice- email me at bills3girls@hotmail.com with your info and I'll send it to you!
Kim