Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Celebrating the Life of a Chicken


Dear Mom,
On March 26 , Golda was buried under the maple tree in the backyard.  She would have been 4 years old in August.  Her death was not a surprise, as her health had been declining for many months.  It is my belief that she had ovarian tumors, but I'll never know for sure. 
As her outlook worsened, I made the decision to allow her to remain in the coop with her sisters rather than move her into a hospital cage.  To my surprise, Marge and Gloria allowed her to keep her positon at the top of the pecking order.
As Golda grew weary and reclusive, her sisters lovingly tended to her.  The day before Golda died, I watched as Marge cleaned off Golda's beak and straightened her feathers.   The following morning, Marge and Gloria remained in the coop with her lifeless body.
Golda was my Blog Star!  She was the first to lay an egg (on Christmas Eve!) and later produced the much-talked-about giant egg. 

She received regular spa treatments, complete with shampoo and blow dry.

She loved tomatoes.  She lurked in the shadows as we harvested, waiting for the chance to grab a cherry tomato!

She was quirky and silly.  She was bossy and strong-willed.
 
She had the biggest and floppiest comb!
She wore a purple sweater.

If anyone ever tells you that chickens are stupid, don’t believe it for a second!  Chickens are inquisitive and interesting little creatures with intelligence and personality.  I have witnessed a social structure, communication, and distinct personalities among my backyard chickens. 

Love,
Bonnie Jo

9 comments:

I'm gonna tell Mom! said...

Golda was well loved and cared for. She had the best mom a chicken could cluck for!
Kim

Anonymous said...

What a lovely story about Golda's relationship with her sisters!

It's EASIER for people to think that animals are stupid. That doesn't make it true.

Christine said...

From one fowl loving friend to another, (BIG HUGE UNDERSTANDING HUG). May she rest in peace.

Anonymous said...

I am so sad for you. She really was a lucky chick to live under your care.

Bird said...

What a lovely blog entry for a lovely hen.

Carol L. said...

I have been waiting for a blog update from you. I love love love hearing about your chickens. (
Your pictures are so fun) They fascinate me. I'm sorry that Golda passed...but I love what you wrote about her sister chickens caring for her at the end of her life. A true tribute to her. My niece has started to raise her own chickens, along with her young daughters, and I have sent her pictures of Golda. Especially the one of her getting her spa treatment!! Love that picture. Thanks you for posting. Keep them coming because you have chicken lovers out there waiting to here.

thatchristine.blogspot.com said...

Sending a hug your way...our pets are definately part of who we are.

YarnKettle said...

Rest in Peace Golda you were a good bird!

Elaine said...

So sad to hear about dear Golda. I'm sure the other girls must be missing her terribly. I really don't think we give our animals the credit they deserve. I never would have thought of the girls nursing their ill sister.