Over the past few weeks I've had a gallon jar filled with an odd colored liquid brewing on my back porch. I checked it daily. Sometimes several times a day. Occasionally I picked the jar up and gave it a swish.
And when I'd used up all my patience watching the brew, wool was thrown in the mix to steep for awhile.
The first batch I tried (notice I said first?) used a salvaged piece of copper pipe from the recent water softener replacement. I filled my former sun tea jar with ammonia and the section of copper pipe and waited.
This is how it looked just a few minutes after the experiment started.
And this is how it looked a few days later.
I added the chemical symbols (which may or may not be correct) after the Young Man asked if I was "making pickles". And added the "not a pickle" sign just to be sure everything was clearly understood.
got restless decided the brew hadn't changed anymore, I took out the copper pipe and added my wool.
And then several days later, when it appeared that this combination had about run its course and I was restless,
and it seemed that the wool was not taking up anymore of the broth's color, I removed the wool, carefully rinsed it and let it all dry.
The wool did not evenly take up the color, which was discouraging at first. And I believe that happened because I had it stuffed into that "pickle jar" with little room for the broth to circulate.
the parts that did take up the color in the broth were very pretty, and I pretty much stopped everything and sat down with Daphne Joy to spin.
I spun most of it in one sitting, then finished spinning and plying it to itself last night. That's a lie.
It was early this morning, in the wee hours, when I finished the plying.
But Gosh Darnit, I am so impressed and in love with this yarn and the colors that I couldn't NOT hang in there to see how it all turned out.
It is exactly the colors in the variegated ivy growing on the back porch.
I have another marinade started.......