Tuesday, January 27, 2009

48 Years

Dear Mom,

Forty-eight years ago today you became a Mom for the first time. I learned how to be a good wife and mother from you. Thank you for being a Good Example to us!


This is what greeted me this morning when I came downstairs to fix breakfast for the kids. Oreo is on TOP of the guinea pig igloo looking for her lettuce and carrots! Lucy is standing on the pellet dish.




After getting the kids out the door, I had a a healthy breakfast of homemade yogurt and my granola. This morning I learned that if you forget to turn off the yogurt maker when you go to bed and the yogurt cooks for..... let's say an extra eight hours,











it is still good.



Kim's Granola
(makes a whole bunch)

In a turkey roasting pan, combine:
1- 42 oz box old fashioned oatmeal
3/4 c brown sugar
2c slice almonds
1 1/2 t salt.


In a separate bowl, combine, and then add to ingredients in roasting pan, mixing well:
3/4 c canola oil
1/3 c honey
1/4 c blackstrap molasses
1 1/2 t vanilla


Bake at 350 until a dark toasty brown, stirring every 15 minutes or so.


Remove from oven and stir in
12 0z craisins
8 oz dried blueberries
6 oz dried cherries
1 c flax seed


Cool and store in airtight containers.



Keep warm and be careful if it snows like they are saying!
Love,
Kim

4 comments:

I'm gonna tell Mom! said...

Happy Birthday Kim!
Love,
Bonnie

I'm gonna tell Mom! said...

Mmmmmmmm....I like my homemade granola but I am going to try yours. Yummy!
Love, Wendy

Chris Hampshire said...

Happy, happy birthday, Kim! I remember very well the night you were born. I was only 11 years old. I remember your grandmother waking me to tell me your name was "Kimberly" and I asked if it was Kimberly Clark.

I think your sister-blog is great! I know your mom will love it and I look forward to it too. You are all interesting, wonderful women. I wish we all lived closer.

Love, Aunt Chris

Chris Hampshire said...

What kind of yogurt maker do you use..or do you make your yogurt in the oven? I actually like the yogurt when it's overdone. Sometime you need to share your yogurt recipe. I like mine thicker so I add non-fat dry milk to my concoction.