Tuesday, May 3, 2016

It Ain't Over Til the Fat Lady Sings.

Dear Mom,

It's a good thing I can't sing.

Without going into too much detail and making this long post too long, and since not all the I'm Gonna Tell Mom  blog readers are on my HIPPA form, I'll condense the adventures of the last month as much as I can.
At the end of March I had a CT scan to check on something (this is the part I will gloss over) which thankfully turned out to be nothing, but which luckily accidentally revealed a rather large aneurysm on my splenic artery.
After hearing the word aneurysm I pretty much got tunnel vision and expected to be told to go straight to the ER, Do Not Pass Go or Collect $200, but apparently I was wrong because I am sitting here, with my aneurysm still lurking in there. I have an appointment on Friday with a surgeon and I hope to leave that office with a surgery date. It has been a long month of waiting, waiting rooms, consultations and scans. I have been assured and reassured that the aneurysm "isn't gonna blow". I have also been told not to exert myself, strain or lift anything heavier than 20 lbs.

A friend (hi Lisa!) then asked "what if you sneeze?"
  !  
So far, so good.

~Suppress neither sneezes nor laughter.~

With the understanding that surgery Is Something That Is Going To Happen, I came home from that appointment on April 5th and started winding yarn and baking muffins. I was going to need comfort knitting and recovery knitting. And muffins.

Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises.
~ Elizabeth Zimmermann

Unlike the Gall Bladder Event of 1999, I have time to prepare for this surgery.
I also don't have a two year old, a puppy, and a Kindergarten Carpool schedule to manage, Praise Be To God!



And unlike Carpal Tunnel 2007, I can knit during my recuperation. If it weren't surgery, this could almost be a vacation!

 I started planning projects and organizing yarn, needles and patterns. Soothing, somewhat mindless, comfort knitting projects. Wool.


“Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either.”

~Elizabeth Zimmermann

As it turns out, I had more time for planning than I anticipated, and many hours spent in waiting rooms. I finished all those comfort knitting projects. I've had to start winding yarn and organizing the next batch of projects. 

I finished this shawl, which had been AbandonedForNoGoodReason.


This is Dream Shawl. I used Cottage Craft yarn, in Charcoal. I really like Cottage Craft yarn- the wool is wonderful and the prices are fantastic, but sadly I am finding the company unreliable.

I finished the Truly Tasha's Shawl, which is inspired by the shawl Tasha Tudor wears in so many of the photos we see of her. 


Olive on squirrel patrol


I used Bartlett yarns for this one.  I might go out on a limb and say that if I could only knit with one yarn the rest of my life, it just might be Bartlett yarn. Some may say it is scratchy. Not me. It gets softer with washing. And I like finding those occasional bits of straw in the wool which remind me that this really did come from sheep and hasn't been processed beyond recognition. The things I knit with Bartlett yarn will probably last forever.

Okay, and then I finished this felted purse.



I really really like this purse. The pattern is MrsKnit'sAllDay Felted Bag. This is the second time I've made this pattern. It is exactly the right size for me. I found the handles here.

Sooo, now, for the next round of waiting room and recovery projects, I have cast on two projects from this book.
On Saturday, I cast on for the New Zealand Sweater in a soft turquoise wool-cotton blend yarn. I am modifying this to be more of a A-line, tunic length sweater I can wear over leggings. I am all about comfort right now. Shawls, and hot tea. Loose fitting clothes. Muffins.

And I have the Long Collared Jacket (in Bartlett yarn) on my  needles as well.  Stay tuned for photos of that.

Yesterday, I wound the warp and dressed Donna Reed for a rag rug- simple weaving- in case I am allowed to treadle my loom after abdominal surgery.  I may have to exercise restraint and save that weaving for post-op. I feel the call of the loom and know that once I start weaving, I will be finished with that rug quickly and need to start another. I know I won't be up to dressing the loom after surgery. I need to think too much and move too much.

I wonder, will I be allowed to spin? That would be good. It would have to be a terribly long recovery if I were to run out of roving!


It's not what you have to meet, it's how you meet what you have.
~Helen Workman



I'll keep you posted. Say a prayer for the doctors and nurses!
Love,
Kim

6 comments:

Reneelynn said...

You have been very Busy!! Lots of wonderful projects in the works and finished :) Will say a pray for all involved....

LannieK said...

Well, first, my have You Been Busy! Beautiful knitting! I love the shawls you've completed ~ And the colors. Thanks for sharing! Second, I am sorry you need surgery, but best get it done now. It sounds like you are preparing well, I'll be sending you cyber muffins and tea!

~ hugs, prayers and health thoughts coming your way ~

thecrazysheeplady said...

I'll send cyber muffins and prayers too! Lovely knitting!!!

Elaine said...

My goodness!! You've really accomplished a lot of knitting. There must be lots more projects to keep you busy in your recovery. Prayers, good thoughts and dreams of muffins to you!

Unknown said...

How good that keeping your fingers flying while finishing so many lovely projects is also helping to keep worrying at bay. Allow the peacefulness of spinning, weaving and knitting to fill you with the energy that recovery will require. Your absence from the blog had me concerned about you; thanks for sharing your situation even though it's very personal. Prayers aloft for the procedure and speedy healing. Wafting the scent of fresh-baked muffins your in your direction!

Mary Lee said...

I have neglected posting on my own blog and reading the ones I enjoy. Holy smokes, Woman, you've got a lot going on. Shouldn't there be another post SOON about how you're doing? How AMAZING that you had a CT scan for what turned out to be nothing, but found THIS! That gives me cold chills!

No one can accuse you of not staying busy! I hate to use the word 'amazing' again, but I don't know what else to call your turnout. I'm glad knitting is light in weight.

We are on the way to Indiana to watch oldest grandson graduate from high school. Gulp! If you need for me to help rough up a few schedulers to get your show on the road, just let me know. I have my knitting needles. :)

Good Luck, Kim. I'm sure you'll be fine, but I'll bet you're itching to get outside to work in your garden.