Thursday, January 7, 2010

Snow Days and Warm Cookies

Dear Mom,
We are getting beautiful snow and it was a snow day for the kids.  So.  The girls baked.  Hmmmm our favorite cookies.  We did just enjoy these over Christmas break; Santa gets treated to these on Christmas Eve (or, in our house, Christmas morning since no one can go to sleep before 2:00 a.m. because of all of the excitement-even with threats and warnings that Santa doesn't come when children are wide awake!)  Anyhooo----Chocolate Crinkles!



Chocolate Crinkles
3/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
6 oz. mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup confectioners' sugar

In a large bowl, mix together the melted butter, cocoa powder and sugar.  Whisk in the eggs and vanilla extract.  In a medium-size bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Slowly add the dry ingredients to the chocolate mixture.  Stir in the chocolate chips.  Refrigerate the dough for approx. 2 hours (or--do what we did today--mix the dough, stick in the fridge; put all of your snowpants and coats and hats and gloves and scarves on; pull out the sleds.  Sled and play outside.  Come back in, take everything off. Drink hot chocolate and THEN the dough will be chilled!!)  Heat the oven to 350.  Form the dough into 1" balls and roll them in the confectioners' sugar.  Bake the cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet for 10 minutes.  Cool on a wire rack.  Try not to eat them all while they are still warm!!!
Enjoy your snow day, too!!!
Love,
Wendy

14 comments:

Bonnie Jo said...

Lucky kids! We didn't have a snow day here! I wish I could bake awesome cookies like you...

happyruralgirl said...

Those cookies look great. Getting butter this weekend. Us rural people have to stock up.....
great photos, could almost smell the cookies!

Anonymous said...

Oh, yum! I love Chocolate Crinkles :) The first time I made them was in 4-H way too many years ago to think about. I think that I need to make a batch soon!! Thanks for reminding me of them... Suzy

I'm gonna tell Mom! said...

Wendy, can you start sending us cookie care packages?

kim

Anonymous said...

You should be a foot photographer. I swear I can taste them by looking at your pictures.
Gina MMMM.

Bonnie Jo said...

I think Gina meant to say "food" photographer! LOL!

This can be the start of your cookie cookbook!

happyruralgirl said...

Loved these cookies--very quick and easy. I didn't chill them but they worked ok anyway. Great before bed with milk.
cannot wait for the next recipe to try!

Maiden Jane said...

These look so yummy! I'm going to try them this week. THanks!

emily said...

i found your recipe via leslie's blog and i'm about to put these into the oven. thank you!

Anonymous said...

They look so delicious. I have to try them asap. And I don't have to wait for snoe: We have enough of it these days. :)

Anonymous said...

... not snoe... I wanted to write snow! :)

Cheryl said...

Just made a batch and posted a picture on my blog. Wish I could include the gorgeous smell. Thank you for including the recipe.

stitching under oaks said...

i made these...they were delicious..thank you so much!

Clarice said...

We made these while the second blizzard of the week kept us home today. We hope there are still some left to share for Valentine's Day! Thanks for the delicious recipe.