Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket...

Dear Mom,

February deserves a knitting project all its own, and yesterday I cast on for this: http://www.flintknits.com/patterns/ladysweater.pdf The February Lady Sweater. It is based on the February Baby Sweater, a design by the Immortal Knitting Genius, Elizabeth Zimmermann. I tell you, when I discovered Elizabeth Zimmermann, it changed my knitting life.

I am using yarn I found on the trip to Asheville, NC that My Hero and I took to celebrate our 25th Anniversary. It is Christopher Sheep Farms 2-ply and I bought it at EarthGuild. http://www.earthguild.com/


As I cast on and started knitting, the daydreams began. Seems I knit little stories into things as I knit them. Not all of the stories are even close to being real. Like the one where I am at the beach and my kids are playing together, nicely, just at the edge of the surf; we are all wearing handknits, sand is not sticking to anything, and I am not worried about the ocean breeze blowing my skirt against my legs because they are skinny.... But anyway, this particular sweater's story started with possibilities for buttons and what I might wear with this pretty cornflower color and lace design. I imagined a crisp white shirt with a stand up collar, and ruffles at the edge of the collar and down the fronts beside the button bands.
Today, after yet another 9th grade scheduling meeting, I took myself off to find some new jeans. Not only did I find TWO! pairs of jeans on sale that fit, are a size smaller, appear to be flattering (could be the magic dressing room mirrors, now that I think about it) and were on sale, but there!, there!! on the clearance rack!!!, an additional 60% off, and in my size!!!!!...... the white blouse I imagined.
Come to think of it, I probably shouldn't buy that lottery ticket. I might have used up all my good luck for the day.
Love,
Kim

No comments: